For those of you who still have toddlers, you may have doubts about getting your children to eat sushi and sashimi. Are these foods safe for their health? The reason is, the risk of serving raw fish in sushi and sashimi still contains bacteria that are harmful to health. Instead of being confused, it’s better to look at the facts about whether toddlers can eat sushi and sashimi. Even if you can make sushi yourself by using a sushi maker, it’s better to make sure that it is safe to feed your child with sushi or sashimi.
What are sushi and sashimi?
Sushi and sashimi are typical culinary delights of Sakura Country which generally use seafood as the main ingredients.
Sushi is made by rolling rice and stuffing (fish, chicken, avocado, vegetables, etc.) together. Some sushi is served raw, but some are served cooked.
While sashimi is a piece of raw fish (generally salmon and tuna) that is served straight.
Besides having a fresh and delicious taste, sushi and sashimi are also foods that are rich in nutrients, you know. It contains omega 3, protein, and vitamins which are very good for the body.
The risk of consuming sushi and sashimi in excess
Although they contain nutrients, consumption of sushi and sashimi also reaps cons from some people.
The reason is, fish meat that is served raw has the risk of still containing bacteria (especially salmonella bacteria) and parasites that are harmful to health. These bacteria and parasites will only die when the fish meat has been cooked at a certain temperature.
Apart from the risk of containing bacteria and parasites, some types of marine fish used in sushi (such as tuna) are also at risk of containing mercury.
With these ingredients, those who eat sushi or sashimi are at risk of experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, and food poisoning when they accidentally eat unsanitary sushi or sashimi.